Friday, June 02, 2006

Vegetable or Spice

While eating Chinese food with KT, I had this question about garlic. You see, I ordered my Lo Mein without vegetables; something I didn't know that you could do until recently. Anyway, I was annoyed because it came with chunks of every size of garlic in it. Is it a vegetable or a spice? And why did they feel compelled to throw it on my food?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I looked it up and I'm pretty sure it's a spice. And what I also found was that South Korea is the largest garlic consumer AND that California considers itself the "Garlic Capital of the World."

Anne said...

Technically spices are vegetables because they come from plants. Garlic could be classified either way depending on who you ask. Maybe you should say to the chef after eating, "Hhhhhhi. Is gaaaahhhhrrlic a veggie or a spiiiiiice?" That'll teach him.