I didn't mean for the previous post to be such a mystery.
You all are really going to think I'm one crayon short, but I'm attempting to make Kombucha Tea. It's a natural probiotic and helps with digestion and gas causing bacteria in the gut. This may be TMI, but you are reading it... We all could use a little gas reduction and healthier intestines.
A scoby is the Kombucha mushroom that you'd use to make the tea.
I was hoping that someone, local and adventurous, would have some extras and wouldn't mind passing on some babies to me.
8 comments:
I have to admit I googled it cause I had no idea!
I did the same thing Candace! What about making Kefir? It seems way easier :) but it is dairy
Sorry...definitely do not have that. But...If you haven't heard of the cookbook Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon, I have a feeling you would seriously like it. I looked at it in Borders and ultimately decided I wouldn't actually use it, but I think you would.
HA, Elizabeth! Great minds... that's where I got this crazy idea!
Can I second the TMI!?!?!??!!
If you find anyone, I would be interested in making some myself. Or maybe just trying yours. :)
There is a great article in the most recent issue of Mothering magazine on healing with foods. I have a copy if you'd like to check it out sometime. I don't know if there is anything in there that you would be interested in specifically, but it was a good read. :)
Our uncle Sam had Dad drinking the "mushroom" tea like 10-15 years ago. Did Tom mention that? It's not actually a mushroom, it's bacteria and yeast that form a "cap" in your dispenser and it looks like a mushroom. I'm all for healthier digestion, but be aware of possible side effects: http://www.cancer.org/docroot/ETO/content/ETO_5_3X_Kombucha_Tea.asp
@Anne- Interesting! Tom has never mentioned this to me. He'd probably be mortified to know what sort of crazy, cardboard food ideas I'm reading about while he's working... I knew it was bacteria, but I didn't know why it needed to brew in a glass container or that you should only drink a bit at first and then increase gradually. This article was helpful.
@Melissa- I'd love to read it.
Tea Time anyone? I got Mel down, anyone else?
Post a Comment