Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Things to know...

Are you aware that if you type in this blog address in the google search, I'm known as "the diaper seller"?
How did I get to be THE diaper seller?
Who decided this?
It would be nice if I was THE diaper seller, as in the ONE and ONLY! I wouldn't be feeling so badly about not making any moolah and taking up all the closet space.

Enough about me, lets talk about... August 2010! Which turned out to be Road Tripping August 2010 or sitting-in-the-car-FOREVER-while-being-confined-with-two-
whining-children.
But that doesn't have a nicest ring to it.

WHAT were we thinking???!!!

It was o.k. on the way to VA and the first part of the Southbound journey, but then LJ kung-fu'ed her DVD player, rendering her display useless.

I think Elmo really pushed her over the edge or maybe it was the Little Einsteins...

It was a long way back.


...Moving along,

Eating on a road trip with dietary restrictions is harsh. Much of the time, I was starving. Evidently, T was starving too. He'd polish off a snack and then tell me he was still hungry. This went on for hours, or until he had to wee. Then he'd forget he wanted food and began to half whine-yell that he couldn't hold it.

We were glutenized at both Arby's and Burger King.

Which made the trip oh. so. very long. and...stinky.

But next door to our halfway- point hotel in SC, there was a Chick-fil-a and a Romano's Macaroni Grill (with a Gluten Free menu).

I gained 2 lbs.

In the Sunshine State, we saw dolphins, crabs, gopher tortoises, fish, and pelicans.
There were signs posted about the "other" dangerous marine life, but no sightings to report this year.

We got to see the kin for a couple of days, then my parents had to leave unexpectedly when my grandmother had to go to the hospital :(


Which brings me to the next topic...
...trials and suffering

Over the past 5 months, my family has been in the trenches, duking it out with waves of suffering and trials that have kept on coming. One thing happened, then another, and that's the way its rolled.
One trial is on the upswing; baby Jacob's open heart surgery. The surgery went well, he is gaining weight, and being weaned off of meds. This is a HUGE praise to the Maker of that tiny heart, the Mighty Physician and earthly physician who mended it.

Will you please pray for my family? Specifically, my sister and her 3 kids, my grandmother, and my cousin and her sons; baby Jacob being one of them.

I'll post some photos when I whittle the sandy, sunscreen laden pile down a bit and catch my breath.

7 comments:

Kimberly said...

I love you, dear. I'm sorry about your family. I have been praying for them. I really have.

That stinks about Arbys and Burger King. Some people can eat at those places and not get it and some can't. I'm sorry that you and your peeps can't. It makes it harder.

Traveling is WAY harsh for the gluten-free. On our way to Myrtle Beach I accidently destroyed ALL my gluten-free muffins and cried.
:( Money and safe food gone in a blink. It was an awful feeling.

The first few trips are HARD, but it gets easier. I promise. Unfortunately, I learn difficult lessons each time, but I never repeat the same mistake. :)

Unknown said...

Oh wow. I'm both laughing and praying for you. I love the Jen commentary on life. It makes me smile.

Wish I could've seen you on the o-town jaunt. next time just fly, will ya? Don't you have some perks with that? :)

love you!!!

The Talberts said...

Did you know that if you're name is Melissa Talbert, people somehow think that you're in cahoots with the diaper seller and they will facebook friend you and email you with diapering questions and try to give you diapering orders even when you say, "It's actually not my business. It's my friend Jen's."?

I've been missing you and wondering why our paths weren't crossing very often lately. Now I know .. you've been gone!

I'll be praying for your family. Let's get together soon!

The Talberts said...

your name. not you're.

Ashley said...

Been praying for your family. Glad you guys are back and that we got to visit the diaper seller.

Susan Holt Simpson said...

"We were glutenized at Arby's..." hahahahaha

Lindsey said...

did you know that Hardee's will make you a YUMMY GF burger?? Just ask for the low carb burger and they'll wrap it in lettuce instead of a bun. The fries are cooked with gluten, so no fun there, but the hamburgers, cheeseburgers, and bacon cheeseburgers are wonderfully delicious...and may kill you eventually from the fat and grease.