Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Going Gluten Free and 18 month visit

LJ had her 18 month appt. yesterday. It was an accomplishment for me seeing as how she (I) missed her 12 mo. and 15 mo. ones.
She had the customary height/ weight/ temp. check, and when the Dr. came in he looked surprised. I was worried that I'd be scolded...
Fear of man, anyone!

Plotting her growth on the chart, he was astonished at how fast she's grown.
With her weight, she's gone from being in the 5th percentile to being in the 20th!
Her height was just as big of a jump...if not bigger. She went from being in the 60th to being in the 95th. My 18 month old is 34" tall.
Hello, US Volleyball Team!

Anyway, he wanted to know if her diet had stayed the same. I told him that I switched both the kiddos to a Gluten Free diet about 2 months ago. He stared at me blankly for what seemed like a minute and then finally said the hops on the chart were HUGE!

I feel validated and justified!

Thank you God that there is Gluten Free food in 2010!

However, there was one slight hiccup that relates to an 18m old. LJ doesn't have as many verbal/hearing skills as she ought. I'm guessing, due to the number of ear infections/ ear drum ruptures in the past 6 months.
Day to day difficulties and her frustrations seem to make sense now when you filter it through the fact that she probably can't hear very well or at least hear certain frequencies.

She has 5 clear words and is loud...loud enough for her to hear herself I suppose.
Most of the words are words she hears in context of T, Tom, or I shouting them.

Harper
Out
MaMa
DaDa
Hi Lyla!

We were referred to a Speech Therapist that the State provides and also an Audiologist.

God is good! He provided this information to be learned now and get the ball rolling instead of waiting.


Hopefully get some photos up soon!

7 comments:

Paulina said...

Please do post some pictures of little miss volleyball!! what a praise that the gluten free is working so well. I'll be praying for the speech/hearing progress. can't wait to see you in a month! hopefully we can set up some fun play dates with y'all!

crystal said...

You rock mama! I want to talk to you about NAET treatments sometime. We are considering for Grant and wondered if you have checked into them. Us mommas really do have to fight to get the best for our little ones don't we. But is every hardship you dealt with going gluten free so worth it now. Lyla Jane was blessed to have you be her momma:-)

Kimberly said...

Sister, you're an incredible mom! It is SO hard to have to FIGHT for your child's healthcare! You naturally think that the industry is FOR you, but so often it feels like they are AGAINST you. God has given you so much strength, sister! Praise Him! How in the world else would we have been able to see these things through?! I praise Him so much for your finding the gluten-free path. It's amazing how good He is to us that we are able to "fix" our bodies and our children's bodies with DIET. And not medication! Or surgeries! Or the like! It's a hard lifestyle, but not impossible and we are so blessed! I rejoice with you over Lyla's FAT cheeks! And thick little head of hair! :) She looks amazing. I tear up almost everytime I see her.

Let us know how the speech thing works out...that poor girly and her ears!!! That must be so aggravating!

Just so you know - you're doing great as a mom! You love those kids so much and obviously will do whatever it takes for them. They ARE blessed to have YOU as a mom!

My rants for the day. :)

krissy said...

If you're using First Steps for speech ask for Miss Barb. I don't know if she's only Boone Co. but we loved her.

Anonymous said...

Dude, your 18 month old is as tall as my 3 year old! That's awesome that it's had such a huge effect! Sorry about the verbal stuff though...I know you were worried about that. Thank goodness it's been caught at 18 months old and not age 3, right?

Anne said...

So glad to hear this. We'd love to see pictures!

Lauren said...

Nicholas is technically in speech therapy through First Steps but more for feeding issues--he is seeing LaSaundra and I've really liked her so far! I also have a friend who is a speech therapist w/ First Steps who is good too! Im glad things are getting better with LJ and hopefully the speech stuff will work itself out easily!