Sunday, December 11, 2005

Fire

I have to be honest. I love this time of year not because of the decorations and gifts, or family and friends, but because of fire. I have my parents to thank for my love of this dangerous substance. My father, a fireman, taught us the finer points of fire safety. While my mother taught us the importance of candles, wax, matches, great firestarters, and how to watch things burn. I have great respect for my mom, a self- proclaimed pyro, who would entertain my siblings and I with stories of how she, when younger, would light an entire box of matches one match at a time and watch them burn all in the seclusion of her closet. "Wow!", we would all stare in awe. If we ever questioned her habit and safety, she would calmly say, "That's why I married a fireman." My mom, still today, has an affinity for candles and fire. Thank you mom for passing on this rare but healthy attraction and most of all how to properly rehabilitate a candle.

4 comments:

Amanda Lomonaco said...

Have you ever burned plastic silverware? It is really cool, though the fumes stink and it puts soot all over the house. How appropriate that your parents are together:).

running shoes said...

Never burned plastics, mainly because of the toxic fumes it gives off.
And yes, it is a match made in heaven

Rachel Beach said...

Jen, I must come out of the closet.. I too am a pyro. In fact, my new nickname here in Agdz is Beevis... for the very simple fact that I can't leave fireplaces and candles alone. Nice to know I'm not the only one.

PS. Should I call you Beevis too? I'm sure you'll appreciate the nickname as much as I do.

running shoes said...

yeah Rachel, I don't think Beevis is well received in the U.S.