Friday, December 01, 2006

With a Bang

Well December announced it's presence today in the way of a HUGE storm. Wind gusts to 60 mph, lightning, thunder, hard rain, etc... woke Travis up around 2:30 a.m. Then he went back to sleep, but I was still awake starring at the ceiling, listening to the tornado sirens. At one point, at 4:30 a.m. (a.m. added for emphasis), I got up put my clothes on (because I was worried that if there really was a tornado I wanted to be in something more than nightclothes). I was really calm about the whole thing and even stood at the window for several minutes trying to see if I could identify any swirly vortex looking clouds. Nope. The whole time I was thinking, "God commands these things. He's in control." I felt badly as I was so lackadaisical in deciding whether it was a safety issue and hemming and hawing about which actions, if any, I should take.
In Job 37:5-6, it says:

"God's voice thunders in marvelous ways; he does great things beyond our understanding.
He says to the snow, 'Fall on the earth,' and to the rain shower, 'Be a mighty downpour.'"

It also says in Job 23:13, "But he stands alone, and who can oppose him? He does whatever he
pleases."
In a way I was at peace, knowing that if God commanded it... it would happen regardless of whether or not I wanted it to. So checked the weather and all the warnings, and figured that I'd better be a little prepared. In a tired fog, I got a flashlight and made sure we could get to the basement in a hurry.
So far nothing major has happened.
The vinyl siding is ruffling in the wind, the neighbors grill cover is in our flower bed and our other neighbors trash can lid is by our mailbox.
Pretty exciting

2 comments:

Rachael Neal said...

Funny that I'm reading your entry as the wind is roaring outside and the snow is accumulating quite quickly. What a great reminder that God is not only the creator of all this, but causes it to do as HE pleases!

Hope your Sunday is blessed.

Unknown said...

So, was Tom gone? You are so brave. I'm serious. I am freaking out and I'm reading the blog over a month later. Maybe it's because i'm deathly afraid of tornados, fire, and large amounts of water. (all bad combinations in a storm)