Sunday, November 02, 2008

Midwest Chili

As a big cynic of Midwest Chili for 6 years now, I recently got over my bigheaded-ness and tried it. I'd never touched the stuff, swearing that it wasn't real chili and that eating it with pasta, over potatoes, and on hot dogs (coneys) was beneath me. Anyway, on Monday I had the biggest craving for it. Yeah, this is pretty anti-climatic, but I LOVED it! We went last night for dinner too.

Oh, Skyline, how I love thee... at least while I'm pregnant.

11 comments:

Kimberly said...

I felt the same way, too, when I moved here. But, Skyline is like that. It may take awhile, but eventually...it gets you. But, still, in my mind I seperate the two. There's chili and then there's Skyline. That's how I was able to start eating it and now I love it. On rice noodles, of course. :)

~Praying Through Life~ said...

What is Skyline?

kara h said...

I recently had people over to our house and made Cincinnati chili. I asked them first if they liked it since people from out of town tend to not. They said they didn't know what I was talking about!! I mean, I understand not liking it if you're not from here, but how can you not even know what it IS???

In their defense, once they got here they figured out that they HAD had it before and hadn't cared for it, but they loved mine... or they're REALLY good liars. :o)

Kelli: Skyline is a particular type of chili that Cincinnatians eat (usually) over spaghetti. It tastes NOTHING like regular chili, so don't be too grossed out. There's no way to describe the taste, though. It's one of those things you have to experience!

running shoes said...

Kelli: I will send you a chili packet to try. rumor is that it has hints of cinnamon and chocolate in it???

Kentucky Kate said...

I've never heard anyone call it Midwest chili before. I actually normally feel the same way. I like it, but it's not my favorite. I don't get the obsession with it. Until I get pregnant. It's actually one of the first ways we can tell whether I'm pregnant. With Evie, I had the Skyline craving before I ever took the test.

~Praying Through Life~ said...

Doesn't steak n shake have chili over noodles? Or, am I just fishing for a comparison? I had no idea there was a sub-culture for chili...BBQ, totally different state to state - chili?, wow
I learned something new...

running shoes said...

yep! it is really scary that we do indeed have a chili subculture.

steak n' shake ripped the idea off of the midwest and the chili is NOT anything close.

look at me! I'm defending CHILI.

Cathryn said...

That is so funny! Erik is repulsed by it, so much so that I am afraid to even try it! Way to be brave AND to love those green eggs and ham Sam I am. :)

Amanda Lomonaco said...

I've eaten it over noodles for years and add cocoa powder and jalapenos to my homemade stuff. Love it! Next time I visit (who knows when), we will have to have a Skyline date so that I can try it again. It's been years.

Amanda Lomonaco said...

P.S. I like Steak and Shake's chili!

running shoes said...

A.LO- jalapenos!???? you are brave.