Monday, March 02, 2009

Richardson Rodeo

There have been lots of happenings over the weekend. It has been like a rodeo.
So in no particular order-

Mainly Travis figuring out that I am no longer faster than he is.
He's getting better at understanding discipline, though. For instance, when I say, "Do you need a spanking to help you remember how to obey?" He immediately remembers what he was SUPPOSE to do and does it.

I don't know if this is going to hurt in the long run though with obeying right away. Any thoughts?

Another topic on Sat., after Travis had PAINTED his walls, carpet, my sewing machine, himself, ironing board, and a plethora of other items that are off limits, was how much should Travis be disciplined for? Both Tom and I were at fault, me for not putting the paint away when I was finished and Tom for not watching him. Travis' part was going into a room that was off-limits and since he's never painted before and never seen paint before- Do I cut him slack for being childish? Or am I just explaining foolish behavior away?

Tom tweeked his back/ rib region on Thursday and is waiting it out to see if it's just a muscle thing or a bruised/cracked rib thing. Pray for him if you think about it- he's in a lot of pain and is currently wearing my belly supporter around his ribs (don't tell him I told you).

A realization God gave me yesterday as I took communion and listened to the sermon on God's Sovereignty, was that Jesus was crushed and bruised for me, so the least I could do was be bruised, veiny, and uncomfortable for Baby Lyla.

One last thing, since we didn't start cloth diapering Travis until he was about 9 months old, I need to buy cloth diapers for a newborn. Good thing I know a great store that sells them. ;0)
I started my "wash of fluff" this morning.

4 comments:

krissy said...

I remember when JP got to that age. WHen he understood the concept of "if you do that you will get a spanking."
As usual, it depends on the situation. I usually give them a chance if I think the temptation is so great right then. Just stay consistent with following through on the promise of a spanking if he still disobeys.
I can;t comment on the paint. It's definitly a hard one.

The House of Schwartz said...

I vote for disciplining for the things he knowingly did wrong such as going into an off limits area. Otherwise have a firm talk about asking/touching before using things. If possible have him "help" clean it up as much as is possible for a little fellow.

The Talberts said...

Hmmmm. We are dealing with a little consequence of giving too many warnings right now. We realized the other day that we are just one small step away from counting to three with our children. It's completely ridiculous. I say, "Libby, sit on the potty, please." And she runs into my room. I say, "Libby, if you don't come, I'm going to give you a spanking!" Nothing. "Libby! Do you need a spanking?" Nothing. Finally I walk in and take her by the hand and tell her that she needs to obey the first time. Anyway. Ben and I decided last night that we really shouldn't have to remind our children to obey. They should obey the first time and if they don't, they should have consequences for their disobedience. They know how to obey and what it means. Giving them warnings has just been enabling them to mess with our heads.

Just my opinion. Ben and I are huge softies with the kids. We're not very strict with them.

As for the paint .. I'd totally let that go. I think I would have a hard time ignoring paint if I had no idea I was supposed to.

See you tomorrow (hopefully)!

Sally said...

Poor little Travis.
ps How's your popped vessle? OUCH!