Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Allergies

As some of you know, Tee went in for allergy testing. I admit my expectations were high going into this adventure. I hoped and prayed that it would be a simple food allergy that's been causing so many sleep, stomach problems, and recently skin irritations. What did we find out... pretty much that he's not 'allergic' to anything food related or otherwise. Even Mold, Mites and Dog dander were no match for him.
The Dr. was pretty amazing and after carefully examining him... she even validated what I've been saying all along... that SOMETHING is causing a problem. When she felt his tummy, she said, "yep, he's even got some bubbles in there now." Although, because his problems seem to be internal, she referred us to a Pediatric Gastroentreologist. She even gave us some suggestions on what we can eliminate from Tee's diet to see if it helps.

And so even though it wasn't a quick fix like I had hoped... We are VICTORIOUS, because FINALLY we're moving toward a solution and I'm NOT just a hypochondriac mom.

7 comments:

Kentucky Kate said...

I didn't know he had a problem, but I don't believe there are too many hypochodriac moms out there. There are a few (and they are very annoying), but mostly it's just that moms detect sickness before anyone else does. Bummer he's not feeling well, but I'm glad you are moving the right way.

michael said...

Are allergy tests as horrific as they used to be?

When I was a kid, they tested me by stabbing dozens (literally) of needles in my back, each containing one of the various substances they were testing me for.

The needles hurt, but the itching afterward (that I wasn't allowed to scratch of course) was even worse.

running shoes said...

not as bad as that Michael. it was more of a scratch test, no needles more like a plastic zester with the offending substance on the end. we popped elmo in the laptop and he was mesmerized.

Lindsey said...

does this test check for celiac disease (gluten/wheat allergy)?

Kimberly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kimberly said...

Sorry, I actually mistyped something fairly important in the firt comment and just deleted it bc it didn't make any sense.

I agree with Lindsey about checking for celiac disease. If his issues are internal (stomach rumbling, gas, diarrehea, loose stools, heartburn, indigestion, burping, etc) then it really could be an intolerance to a food OR celiac disease.

It took me my entire life to be diagnosed accurately. I have a genetic gluten intolerance and also am highly intolerant to soy, egg and dairy. But, it's gluten (found in wheat, barley and rye) that will cause the big / bad symptoms.

Email me if you want and we can chat about it and I'll tell you about the routes I took for a accurate diagnosis.

BTW, GLUTEN INTOLERANCE / CELIAC is one of the better scenarios because they are treates strictly through diet! It's tought at first, but it's a good thing...medicine free.

Anonymous said...

It must feel good to finally be getting somewhere. When is the appointment with this other doctor?