Saturday, October 25, 2008

Teeth



Alright folks... Is this a fact or just another Old Wives Tale?

Truth or Not:
If you vomit you shouldn't brush your teeth immediately afterwards because you'd be brushing away more of your enamel.

and...

If you shouldn't brush your teeth, are you just suppose to swish the nasty taste away??

7 comments:

Kara said...

I saw a post about teeth and had to check it out! I'm a blogging friend of Melissa and Kentucky Kate's, and also a part time hygienist. I copied a tidbit of info for you that summed it up nicely...

It is very important to not brush your teeth after vomiting. While it takes the taste away it can cause extra damage to the teeth by damaging the surface crystals on the enamel layer of the teeth. The best option is to wash your mouth out with plenty of water and wait several hours before brushing your teeth or eating anything acidic such as fruit or fizzy drink. This allows the saliva to neutralise the stomach acid which seeps into the surface enamel after vomiting. Brushing your teeth destroys the protective layer of enamel, making it easier for the acid to attack it.

Hope this helps, and hope you're feeling better soon!

Amanda Lomonaco said...

Huh, sounds like a wives tale, but you got a professional's advice, which says otherwise. Man have I screwed my teeth up!

Unknown said...

I heard you're supposed to change your toothbrush every time you have even the tiniest bit of a cold. Is that true??

The Talberts said...

I've got nothing for you, Jen. But I'd go with whatever Michigan Kara (top comment) says. My only experience with extreme vomiting was at a time in my life when I was not so concerned with my teeth. Or my liver.

Kentucky Kate said...

I talked to my dentist once and he recommended rinsing with Crest pro-health rinse while pregnant.

Kara said...

I read somewhere else to just wait a half hour after vomiting to brush your teeth. That sounds better than a few hours! I've also heard that Crest pro-health is good, or we recommend Act Fluoride rinse as well if you are cavity prone or having a lot of acid issues- reflux or whatever.

Karin- I have heard that you can run your toothbrush though the dish washer to kill the germs! So if your toothbrush is still in good shape, I'd try that instead of pitching it.

running shoes said...

thanks for the info. Michigan Kara and for clearing up the teeth thing.

I am feeling better. Just every once in awhile, I'll bend over or lean down and... well, you all know the rest.