Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Bittersweet



Any one else straining to remember the beautiful moments with our kids?
Like the baby smell, the way they breathe, how soft their skin is especially against your cheek...
It seems like for every precious moment many more hideous moments are waiting to take their place.

Right now, it's 3:40 and T has refused naptime. I can hear him doing who-knows-what in his room, but he's definitely not asleep. L's in her highchair screeching for more Cheerios, which she eats by the fistful, and I'm pretty sure she could eat her weight in them.
Screeching seems to be her preferred method of communication. Like my friend, Elizabeth said, "It must STOP!"

*TMI alert for all you men*

L's 9 month appt. was today, so another bittersweet moment. She's dropped to the 5th percentile in weight. I'm bummed.
Dr. looked at me and asked how much fat I was eating or if I was on any "goofy" diets.

No diets here and have you seen me eat?

He then referenced that my breastmilk may be more on the fat-free side, and she definitely needs more whole milk. He gave me a sample of the Ferrari Formula.
The tricky part in sticking with formula is she already has a milk/soy problem, so if we do it it's gotta be the hypoallergenic or sensitive kind (translation: mucho expensive-o). I think for right now we'll use the LG (Liquid Gold) reserves in the freezer and then use the Ferrari Formula sample, all the while still trying to nurse as much as I can.
My hope is that we can stretch it out and put us closer to that fabulous 1 year utopia.


So her stats for 9 mos:
She is 15lbs 10oz. and is 29.5" tall (long?)

7 comments:

Kentucky Kate said...

That's a bummer, but I wouldn't let the doctor stress you out. She looks healthy and she's hitting all the developmental milestones. And you and Tom aren't exactly on the hefty side, so she comes by thinness naturally. Someone has to be in the 5th percentile right?

Are you doing any table food with her aside from Cheerios? If so, just try to bump up the fat in that - lots of avocado, maybe mix in a really healthy oil (maybe flax or coconut) to her potatoes, etc.

Paulina said...

I don't know if this helps (since Claire and I are parting ways pretty much tomorrow) I have started her on formula. I use Nature's One baby formula. They make a lactose free version. Their cans are BPA free too :), and the formula is free of Life's DHA. Anyway - you're doing great - she seems happy!

Kathleen said...

bummer! i know how discouraging that can be...i once heard a doc tell a friend to put a little olive oil in her daughters bottles to fatten her up a bit...she was more on the holistic side so i doubt a "regular" ped would agree, but it may be worth a try to mix a little olive oil in with the LG. =)

Anonymous said...

What's wrong with the 5th percentile? Where was she before? My boys have always been in the 5-10th percentile and I've always been allowed to give them lowfat milk and dairy products; no worries about "fattening" them up. My brother Matthew dropped off the weight charts, but it turned out to just be his growth pattern. Now he's skinny as a rail and about 5ft 9in tall. Those growth charts scare us into thinking there is something wrong with our kids, like we HAVE to be at the 50th percentile to be "normal". By the way is this a pediatrician talking or just a regular doctor??

Jen said...

Love the LG, way to stick to it! Can I suggest something other than formula (if you must supplement at all)? Raw goat's milk. Raw means it still contains the live enzymes to break down the lactase in the milk (the allergen/bothersome protein for some) and goat b/c it's much more similar to LG than cow's milk is.

Also, I've noticed at 9 months my babes get longer and slimmer (what's wrong with 5th percentile!!)...seems the first 9 months of their life are more about your good prenatal care and at about 9 months on genetics kick in. Ok, enough of my ramblings :)

Kimberly said...

I now that it's so discouraging when it seems like you're doing every thing you can possible do and they weigh in at these shrimpy little weights. Clay's only 19 lbs. :( For a boy, that's small. His friend who is 4 months younger is about to catch up with him in weight. That was discouraging for me. I now how you feel! I'll pray for you this week that you would be encouraged and strengthened in your spirit about L. You're a GREAT mom and you're doing great job!

Amanda Lomonaco said...

Hey lady,

We had our 9 month appointment today and Clara is in the 3% for weight. It's nice not having the doctor worried about it for a change. It's just that I have small kids. Finally he has accepted that with the third.

Miss you!

P.S. You can add olive oil to her veggies or maybe even give her bread dipped in it.