As promised, the Puffy Jacket saga. For those of you new to the Rodeo, please reference the Puffy Search Post, by clicking here.
Still searching for the perfect puffer, I spied one as I was returning something at Eddie Bauer. The jacket was a return from the catalog, as they did not carry them in that store. I tried it on.
Oh, so heavenly, though clearly too short, wrong color, etc... I thanked the sales lady and went home to order it online. I thought I found the answer to my down dilemma. The beautifully soft, lightweight, warm, non-michelin man, black, pillow, that is a jacket.
It was a happy day when I saw it stuffed in our mailbox. My happiness was short lived as I tried it on and it was too big.
Bummer.
I tried to make it work, tried it on for Tom. Yep, still too big. Tried it on for a female dinner guest. Again, still too big.
I don't know! I was hoping the "Down Fairies" would cut me a deal and make it shrink. They didn't.
A couple of weeks went by and I had to make a return to Kenwood, a really out of the way Mall, in Ohio that has absolutely everything. Kind of like Winter Park, Orlando, Oviedo, Mall at Millenia all rolled into one!
I had T with me and I figured that I'd take the Puffer jacket to that Eddie Bauer store to compare. Being a bigger store, they do carry the First Ascent line, so I thought I'd be a quick swap for the correct size and I'd be on my way.
We entered the Store. We browsed the sale items and made it all the way to the back of the Store, where the pillow jackets are kept, without any sales persons saying anything to us. I found the heavenly puffers and the size I think I needed. I took my coat off. Tried the Puffy on. T got antsy and began to touch the other jackets. I started to asses the sizing of the jacket. Just as I examined the sleeves, a SalesMAN rushed up to me and said, "That jacket is WAY to small on YOU! You're gonna need the next size up!"
At that point, I had no idea how to respond.
WHAT!??? Did he really just say that to me??! He didn't even ask me if I needed help. WHAT???
Then, I was able to eek out a, "Well I have this jacket I ordered and its too big, so I thought..." I was rudely interrupted again by this MAN's verbal barrage.
"You're wearing A Large and you NEED an Extra Large."
I tried to explain, but on the verge of total humiliation, as people began to look at us, I said, "What's the difference in the Tall sizes?
"Oh, well, just the arms and length are longer, not the overall size. OK!"
I was screaming inside. I could feel my face getting redder by the second.
NO! It's NOT OK!!! Why are you so rude?! I didn't ask for help!
He walked around the corner and out of sight.
I quickly put the jacket back on the hanger, and gathered T to head out the door. Then I got the great idea to find out his name, so we hung back.
I know, I should have known, this would not end well. Talk about a glutton for punishment.
He came back up to checkout a lady at the sales counter. I patiently waited for him to finish and he said to me, while checking out ANOTHER customer, "Did you find a jacket? I hope you don't think I was arguing with you!"
Again, WHAT????!!! HUH?! WHAT is WRONG with you?!
We left!!!
I didn't get his name. I returned the pillow, that is a jacket to the other Store.
4 comments:
The search continues...have you tried Land's End? Or L.L. Bean?
Ugh! I cant stand being harrassed by sales people--In general I dont like people talking to me when I shop since I basically loathe shopping in general--but I did find a longer, down maternity jacket at oldnavy.com that is surprisingly not too poofy (which considering its maternity I was worried I would look REALLY huge but I gave up on vanity in pregnancy early on) I would think if you get their regular down coats in a size smaller so it hugs a little tighter to the body that may help w/ the poofiness hope this helps! (oh and oldnavy.com has some great outerwear sales every now and then so try and get one when its marked down!)
okay .. these sorts of things never happen when you buy your clothes from the goodwill.
I actually think i'm crying from laughing so hard!
And no one, but NO one, should own an extra large puffy jacket. No. I still can't believe you are succumbing to the puffy trend. Move back to florida!
Post a Comment