Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Polling the Peeps

T is enamored with Super Heros.
What almost 4 year old boy wouldn't be?
Currently, he uses my nursing cover as a cape.

Genius idea, but very, very floral.

To remedy the feminine mystic of the cape, I'm attempting to make him one of his very own for his 4th birthday.
Shhhhh, don't tell him!

It will be totally wicked!!! His initial will even be on the back!

Problem is, these are the two most masculine fabric choices I have.

Question to you is:
Which one is cool enough for a cape?



Or...
are they both lame and I need to buy solid color fabric, maybe an orange or red?

15 comments:

Margie Petri said...

You CAN"T do that to the poor boy! Solid color or army print would work. I would make it blue and tell him that way he can blend in with the sky and sneak up on the bad guys.

Oh, and if you do use one of those, be prepared, Mike and Michael will come up with very creative, very offensive super hero names for him.

Anonymous said...

HOLY CRAP ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!?! Put the boy down and slowly back away! You must NOT infringe on his production of testosterone. Certain patterns are notorious for this. Sweater vests are also linked to the lack of male hormones. Colors like pink, purple, and "salmon" (pink) are also no-no's. Send Tom and Travis over and we will have some man time to recover from this estrogenical tyranny!

Brenda W. said...

Does Tom have an old blue shirt you could transform????

The Talberts said...

Um .. I'm going to suggest that you absolutely not send Travis to Mike Petri for guy time. He will come back with like .. a dead deer slung over one shoulder and a bear skin blanket for your living room.

I personally would like to see Mike Petri use your nursing cover as a cape on one of his runs to catch bad guys.

I like the stripes. I'm guessing that if Travis has been using your nursing cover as a cape all this time, he will not mind either of your fabric choices. And if it turns out, will you make one for Jacob in like .. pink polka dots? ;)

The Talberts said...

Oh also .. I seem to remember seeing a photo of Mike in a "salmon" colored shirt in one of Margie's first blog posts. I guess that explains things.

kara h said...

I hate to say it, but I'm going to agree with Mike. Ick, it looks even worse in print. Anyway, I think you're going to have to bite the bullit and buy fabric.

Sign up for hobby lobby's e-mail list and they send you a 40% off coupon almost every week. you can use that to buy the fabric and tell yourself that you're getting a good deal!

krissy said...

I have no opinion, but I do have some navy blue fabric if you want it. :-)

Unknown said...

Oh man, i LOVE that fabric! Therefore.....

BUY HIM A SOLID COLOR AND MAKE A CAPE. Use the 40% off coupon from Jo-Anns :)

Lauren Bryson said...

i like the spots. he will love whatever fabric you use. fun birthday gift idea!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Jen, I'm with almost everyone else. Buy a solid color or the army print or something with cars. Everything comes back to cars, remember? :-)

Rachael Neal said...

um i can hardly type i am laughing so hard at margie and mike.

and i agree with the masses...invest the money in your boy's future as a MAN and buy an army print fabric. otherwise, lyla will save a photo of his girly cape and bring it out when his dates come home.

at least that's what i would have done.

Kimberly said...

Wow, wow, wow! After reading all this I'm afraid to say STRIPES! Should I be afraid now to ask what this means about MY boy??? I just thought, "Oh, I like the stripes." LOL!!!

Anne said...

I applaud your efforts to make a cape and use materials you already have, and I admit that the boy is 4 and doesn't know that super heros never have patterned capes. But after the periwinkle/cloud overalls incident I'm with the majority and think you should stick with certain solid colors (red, deep blue, green, brown, orange) for anything you make for a boy over 1.

Amanda Lomonaco said...

I agree with the masses. Buy some solid fabric. Black, blue or red seem to be excellent cape colors. We sometimes use old baby blankets for capes. Lucas also has a few pairs of jammies that have velcro capes that came with them.

You are such a good mommy. Love the fabric, too, just not for a cape!

Kara said...

Soooooo... what did decide??? We need to know!

(I never have a solid fabric on hand when I need it, either. :)