The topic today is Kitchen Lighting...
We have 1 spot in out kitchen where there used to be an island. The light fixture was perfect over said island. Now, well, there is NO island and it looks really, really odd. It didn't use to be that high... Tom took the extension out after we hit our heads on it a few times.
Here is a photo to explain the oddity...

The rest of the 411: It is the primary light source for workspace in the kitchen. There is a light over the sink, a recessed light and one over the dining table.
Also, our cabinets will be brown/ black with nickel handles and our counter tops will most likely be this color:

What kind of light should go here?
A long light? Like this..

Or more of the traditional light?

or this?

What do you think?
Enter as many times as you like. No prizes will be awarded.
Speak to meeeee.
12 comments:
I'm a fan of the drum lighting, but it's hard for me to tell without having seen the place in person....which leads me to a very important question: are you still moving?! I'm confused! And you have a new dog???
We have a ceiling fan in the middle of our kitchen with four lights. I don't know if that's the thing hip folks do in their kitchens, but it's nice when I'm sweating over something hot in the middle of the summer. And the lights are nice and bright. If that's not your thing, I really like the last photo. :)
I agree w/ Melissa that its nice to have a ceiling fan in a kitchen but I know thats not the trendy thing to do decor-wise. What about some sort of track lighting? We have some track lighting in our kitchen near our butchers block counter and its great because we can move the heads to where we want more lighting and it actually provides really good lighting overall. Not a great example but can give you the general idea:
http://tinyurl.com/686tftv
I'm for the track lighting, too, if you don't mind my throwing in my two cents! Take out the light, spackle the hole away, then install a quiet track of lights that won't compete in looks with the chandelier over the table.
Miss seeing you at small group (when we go)!
s
Hmm...I don't know. I definitely would not go with the drum light. It seems too "living room-ish" to me. We have a ceiling fan in our kitchen and it is nice especially when something starts burning...you can just pop open the window and turn it on and everything is all better. What about just a more chandelier-like fixture?
How about the flexible track lighting. We just put them up in our kitchen. It made the off center fixture hook up not so off center. You bend the track the way you need it to go. Plus, you put the lights anywhere on the track you need them. You can see them in our blog photos.
As a designer:-) I have to say no to the LONG light...I like the drum light, if it goes with the style of your house kitchen. One thing I would caution though is the use of any sort of fabric like material in said light, due to the nature of kitchens...these are hard to clean:-) I have seen track lighting that could work too. We have recessed lighting, and I have to admit I love it! It would be hard to go back:-) You could get more counter lighting by mounting fairly inexpensive lights under the cabinets, assuming you have uppers...seriously just my 2 cents for what they are worth:-)
I would pick the traditional light or a ceiling fan as others suggested, but ceiling fans have to be cleaned a lot in the kitchen, but in summer they are quite handy!
I vote for track lighting or a white ceiling fan that will hopefully disappear against the ceiling. If you're going with a U-shape layout now, the current fixture *might* look okay if you just turn it 90 degrees and it's over the peninsula (hard to tell from photo). Ditto on drum shade = living room.
Current light is FAAAR away from said "U".
Which way would I mount the track lighting so it doesn't look out of place? Horizontal so it would be in line with the back wall cabinets or vertically so that the track would be coming at you when you walk into the kitchen?
What about the fan I posted on my FB page?
I think it depends on the layout of your kitchen-- I would put it to where the lights could be moved to increase the light near the cooking spaces...so based on the pic you had on facebook I would say have it vertically based on where it looks like your counters and sink and stuff will be but the pic on fb isnt your whole kitchen so its hard to tell :-)You could also make Tom stand on a ladder and hold it either way till you decide what looks better visually haha Thats what I would make Donnie do
Place a headlamp on Harper and Travis and keep them handy at meal time? I like the idea of moving it to where the island was relocated.
Post a Comment